Skin pigmentation refers to the colour of our skin, caused by melanin – a natural pigment that gives our skin, hair, and eyes its unique colour. In Singapore, it’s common to suffer from darker skin pigmentation due to extended skin exposure. Some common remedies for pigmentation include laser treatment, clinically approved medications, and personalized skincare. In this article, we discuss home pigmentation treatments in Singapore that you can try.
Types of Skin Pigmentation
First, let’s find out more about the different types of skin pigmentation:
This is characterized by brown pigmentation on the cheeks, bridge of the nose, forehead, and chin. It’s common in women, especially pregnant ladies. The dark patches can be quite unsightly!
Freckles are small light brown spots on sun-exposed skin and happens if you’ve been out in the sun for too long.
- Solar lentigines
These are dark patches of skin that commonly develop in adults over 40, and occurs as a result of cumulative sun exposure.
- Hori’s Nevus
This shows up as blotchy grey and blue lesions on cheeks, nose, and forehead. It is harmless but worth removing for cosmetic reasons.
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH)
This shows up as blemishes and hyperpigmented areas on the skin due to prior inflammation arising from conditions like acne, chickenpox, insect bites, and burns.
3 Home Remedies For Skin Pigmentation That You May Try
Evidence has shown that natural ingredients such as green tea, aloe vera, and soy extract are helpful in treating some forms of hyperpigmentation temporarily. How to remove dark spots on the face overnight home remedies? Keep reading to find out more.
Green tea extract cream was shown to reduce the appearance of melasma in 60% of patients. How can we use natural green tea extract regularly to diminish the appearance of dark marks on the skin?
- A cleanser for all skin types.
Add 2 tablespoons of green tea infusion plus 1 tablespoon of honey together. Massage all over the face and rinse.
Add green tea infusion into a green spray bottle. Spray it to get a relaxing mist all over your face.
- Mask for acne-prone skin
Infuse 1 tablespoon of tea leaves with 2 tablespoons of honey for 30sec. Apply for 20 minutes.
Put 2 infused green tea bags into the freezer for 5 minutes. Apply on your lids for 30minutes.
- Steam facial
Add whole leaf green tea into boiling water. Soak this into a towel and use it to cover your head. Use this to steam your face for 5 minutes.
How can we make a DIY aloe vera mask to diminish hyperpigmentation?
- Add half a tablespoon of organic aloe vera gel into a small container. Remember to use fresh, organic aloe vera gel. You can buy aloe vera plants, snip off small portions of the fatty stems, and extract the juice.
- Next, add 1 tablespoon of seaweed to the container. Kelp powder is a good choice, you can buy it at any natural foods outlet.
- To the aloe vera gel and seaweed, add half a tablespoon of honey and mix together.
- Allow the mixture to sit for 20 minutes.
- Cleanse your face with a gentle cleanser (preferably aloe vera) and pat dry with a towel.
- Avoiding eye area, apply aloe vera mask mixture over the entire face, lie down and relax for at least 20 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water.
Applying this mask two to three times a week will help to improve the appearance of hyperpigmentation!
Soy contains the active ingredients vitamin E and isoflavones, both of which inhibit melanogenesis. Many commercial skincare products use soy to treat hyperpigmentation. How can we use soymilk as a home remedy?
- Dip a cotton ball or paper towel into a cup of soymilk. Wipe your face with it.
- Soak a clean gauze in soy milk. Squeeze it and use it as a compress. Rinse off with tepid water after a few minutes.
Heading To A Skin Pigmentation Centre in Singapore
The above home remedies may be helpful to temporarily improve hyperpigmentation, but if you really want to treat and improve your skin from the inside out and desire more long lasting results, do visit certified skin doctors for a professional assessment. Eeva designs an effective pigmentation removal in Singapore for each and every patient. We give you our utmost care and attention in every step of your skincare journey. Achieve and maintain radiant and clearer skin, see progressive pigmentation lightening and improved skin quality with each session. Contact us today!
- Tanweer, Syed. “Management of Melasma with 2% Analogue of Green Tea Extract in a Hydrophilic Cream.” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, 2009, www.jaad.org/article/S0190-9622(08)02205-6/fulltext#relatedArticles.